January – Chapter 1 of 12
Hello 2020…a beautiful fresh year!
Welcome to the first post of our monthly blog which will feature lots of news, tips and lifestyle advice so you can feel at your very best and make the most of each month.
“Do more of what makes you happy”
January is a time to celebrate all things Vegan and to enjoy eating a plant-based diet. We are proud to have our products approved by The Vegetarian Society as suitable for vegetarians and vegans along with everyone else. Animal welfare is top of the list with us, we take great care to only use suppliers with the same strict ethics and ingredients which have been grown organically and with no impact on animals there is no need. If you are taking part in Veganuary to try a new diet, then well done your body will thank you for eating raw foods.
Try and eat a rainbow every day as this makes sure that your body has access to a wide range of nutrients which improves your immune system. A very handy benefit from a vegan diet.
Struggling for ideas? There are lots of vegan recipes on The Vegetarian Society’s website
If you would like to read all about their plans to celebrate Veganuary, have a look at their website, it’s packed with lots of useful information, events and talks. They also have a section for products that have been approved to carry their trademark (we are listed there too!!)
Have a look at their site! It’s packed full of help and tips to enjoy discovering the vegan way of life. Who knows you may continue long after January!
January is the month that we all try to curb our bad habits which is a great thing to do, but we feel that you stand more chance if you wait until February. You will probably have a house filled with chocolate, bottles of this and that, add to this it can be a tough month weather wise and money wise, your efforts would be best saved for February when we start to look ahead to Spring. But there are plenty of pre-good habits that you can get on with.
- BODY BRUSHING
when you body brush, you are stimulating your circulation which gets your lymph moving. Lymph is the clear fluid which helps to remove toxins and delivers lymphocytes to key lymph nodes, Lymphocytes fight infections and gather around bacteria to kill off infected cells, they are taken to lymph nodes to be removed by your body in the form of sweat etc. Your lymph is not pumped around your body by your heart but by breathing, movement, massage and skin brushing really helps. Always skin brush dry skin in an upwards direction towards your groin and armpits. Be careful if you have had any lymph nodes removed though, you can brush towards another lymph node but please ask for a holistic therapist to show you first.
- DRINKING HOT WATER IN THE MORNING
We all know that drinking water is very beneficial for our health, energy and well-being but did you know that drinking hot water in the morning (and throughout the day during the winter) acts as a cleanser for your body. If you struggle with being “regular”, this will definitely help. Warm to Hot water is kinder for your body than cold you can add a bit of fresh lemon juice if you would like, this helps to “de-grease” your digestive system and is an alkaline boost for your blood, plus it’s makes the hot water taste nice if you struggle with plain water!
- EAT A RAINBOW EVERY DAY
Fruit and vegetables are renowned for their vitamins and minerals but some are more powerful as anti-oxidants.
Lycopene gives the fruit and veg its red colour (peppers, tomatoes, strawberries), it is very beneficial for your heart as it helps to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure. Pomegranate seeds sprinkled on your porridge or salad is a fun way to eat your red foods. Your body will find it easier to absorb Lycopene once the food is cooked. FUN FACT…red grapes are rich in vitamins than green grapes
Beta-carotene is found in carrots, butternut squash, sweet potato (a superfood). It is converted to vitamin A in the body which is believed to be good for eye health and hormones
Spinach, broccoli, sprouts, peas, watercress are all foods rich in lutein, iron, vitamin b. So healthy for you and great in smoothies. FUN FACT ..Kale is among the most nutrient-dense foods on the Planet and sprouts are rich in enzymes along with vitamins
Beetroot is rich in nitrates which helps to reduce high blood pressure, it is also considered a blood cleanser. Blueberries and blackberries are rich in vitamin C. FUN FACT…Blueberries are rich in anti-inflammatory properties as they are rich in anti-oxidants. The darker the purple colour, the richer in anti-oxidants.
We’ve been reading a lot about the Danish Hygge way of enjoying every moment of your day. Taking time to enjoy what you are eating, being with family and friends, enjoying being outdoors and slowing down to fully appreciate every day. To worry less and smile more. Isn’t that a lovely thought
How many times have you been astonished that is the weekend again or spent an entire month on a treadmill. Here at Helpmeorganics we are just as guilty as anybody for rushing around. I went on a course to learn Mindfulness and the lady told us that every day she goes and sits in a wood to enjoy the quiet of the trees. We all looked at each other, all thinking the same but she was right. The lady had made time in her busy day just to stop and enjoy the day, she still cared for her family, ran a busy business etc. So this year we will be adopting the Hygge (Pronounced ‘hoo-guh” – even saying it feels good!) way of living and each month, we will let you know how we are getting on and I bet we still achieve everything but also enjoy living too.
● You will smile more which releases endorphins
● You have clearer thoughts which means fewer mistakes and less stress
● Getting out for a daily walk in the fresh air is good for your lungs & sinuses
● Enjoying an aromatherapy soy candle in the evening is pure therapy
● Learning a new hobby stimulates your creative side of your brain
OUR BLEND IN FOCUS
This month we are going to have a closer look at “help me, I’m feeling under the weather “, this is the perfect scent blend to keep you, your family and work colleagues healthy.
We have blended organic essential oils of Eucalyptus Radiata, Lavender Augustifolia, Tea Tree, Peppermint and Tangerine to produce a powerful antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory scent.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil – antibacterial, fights viruses, eases congestion
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil – excellent to clear your head, ease sinus & fight off colds, antibacterial
- Peppermint Essential Oil – renowned for its headache clearing properties, freshens & uplifts
- Lavender Essential Oil – very soothing, antiseptic, antibacterial, antiviral, sleep inducing
- Tangerine Essential Oil – gives a feeling of happiness
- Our candle can be used after cooking to freshen and cleanse your kitchen of cooking smells! Burn the candle in the evening to help clear your head ready for sleep. Our candles are made with essential oils so you can still enjoy the scent long after you have blown the candle out. (never leave it alone once lit and away from children & pets). Candles are wonderful in the winter months as the light is softer which makes the room cosy, very Hygge.
- Use our Room Sprays to give an instant burst of fragrance. We have blended our essential oils with organic witch hazel. They are perfect to create a healthy sinus clearing environment, one burst in each corner will create the perfect scent but make sure you shake before you spray! You can spray once on a tissue for a young child as the scent level will be nice and gentle.
- When my daughter started uni, I sent her off with a bottle of this essential oil blend, Claire used it in a bowl of water in her room, thankfully she avoided “freshers flu” and still uses it now. Another way to use the Aromatherapy blend is 2 drops on a tissue, keep it under your pillow, in your car, by your workplace, anywhere and everywhere. The scent will protect you.
- If you are unlucky to catch a cold, use our massage oil on your chest area, the oils will help you sleep and while you are sleeping will kick start your healing. Made with organic carrier oils they are perfect after a bath/shower. If you love exercise, all the oils are powerful anti-inflammatory oils so it will help ease muscular aches and pains. If the colder weather makes your muscles and joints hurt, they will be wonderful under your many layers.
NEWS FROM THE SALON
- Our Winter 50% Sale will begin on the 30th January 2020.
- In our determination to be 100% organic, we have been tweaking our “help me, it’s way past my bedtime” collection, this will be ready on February 1st 2020
- It is very important to us that everyone can enjoy using our products. We have been working on our massage oils to make them allergy friendly. With allergies it is vital to do a patch test so if you are worried please email us email@example.com and we will send you a sample. We are changing from a “tree nut” carrier oil to carrier oils from seeds and plants, our new massage oils will be available on March 1st 2020.
- Have you seen our Pinterest boards? We are busy putting together boards of interest for all of our products, collections, seasons. Please let us know what you would like us to look at, the latest board will be about living your life more relaxed, hygge. Let’s see what benefits we all feel after a year of appreciating what we have and making the most of being together. Go to our Pinterest page!
- If you would like to receive exclusive offers, hear our news first or get the opportunity to be on our tester panel, sign up for our monthly newsletter on our website.
DATES OF INTEREST:
- January is “Get out and walk your dog” month!!! – great for fresh air, exercise and time with your best buddy
- January is “Dry January” – excellent to give your body chance to repair after Christmas and the New Year but also great to assess your relationship with alcohol
- 3rd January is “Festival of Sleep Day” – not sleeping well can affect all areas of your lifestyle, health and relationships
- 6th January is “National Shortbread Day” – I put this in for Claire as she is very partial to a shortbread biscuit
- 18th January is “Winnie the Pooh Day” – one of my favourite Pooh sayings is – “You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”
- 20th January is Cervical Cancer Prevention Week – if you have received an appointment for a smear, you must go. It takes a moment and can catch something really early
- 25th – 27th January is The Big Garden Birdwatch – our birds are having a tough time so time for this
- 31st January is the start of our “Wonky Candle & Winter Sale” – lots of information on our website